Thursday 6 October 2016

Gas System


WARNING: Your gas system could kill you. I am not an expert so do not take this advice without additional expertise. Get your gas system checked by a qualified gas fitter. It is really worth it.

ADVISORY: Install a Carbon Monoxide alarm and ideally a gas leak detector too. Again, your life is worth it.

My gas system is essentially as follows:



I used an 11kg refillable LPG gas tank. It is amazing!

Why LPG?
If you use propane/butane tanks you have to swap them to get them refilled. In Europe at least, they can vary from country to country, meaning you have to have more than one type in the van. Also, if you go further afield, you can end up with a bashed up tank which you cannot swap when back home.

LPG however, is basically Autogas – some people power their cars on it and you can fill it up at many garages throughout the world. Not all garages – but considering how infrequently you will need to fill it up this really not a problem.

It cost me £11.50 ($16) to fill up my 11kg tank, and in the first three months I estimate that I used about £1.50 ($2) of fuel. It is really cheap!

Regulator
To fit the regulator to the Gaslow tank you need an adaptor like this:



I also used Gas PTFE Tape on all my screwed joints.

Filler hose

I bought the official filler hose for the Gaslow LPG tank. It is expensive but you know it is going to do the job!



This is the position of the LPG filling point on my van. It is just above where I fill with diesel which is convenient.



Shown is the UK LPG filler type, you can buy adaptors for other locations fairly cheaply onine.

What I bought:
  • Gas pipe: I needed 4 meter
  • Pipe clips
  • T-joint & 
  • Jubilee clips
Getting it checked!

I got my system checked by a friend who knew what they were doing and I strongly suggest that you do the same.

By keeping the gas parts all within one cupboard unit meant that I could use the rubber hose.

I understand that if your gas pipes go outside of a single enclosed area you must use copper piping. It is well worth researching this yourself and taking advice from someone more qualified than me.

Simple on-the road leak test

I checked for a gas leak by running the gas. Then turning off the cylinder, leaving it for a day, then lighting the stove.

That the gas was still pressurized within the lines, and burnt for several seconds, indicates that there was no significant gas leak in my system.

Again this is really rudimentary – and good to do every so often. It is not a replacement for getting a qualified gas fitter to check your installation!

Gas sink

You need a vent in the floor to allow any gas that leaks to have a chance to escape.

I used one of these with a hole through the floor of the van.







4 comments:

  1. Do you think a swap'n'go gas bottle would work if not what do i get as i don't live in europe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    first of all, congratulations. You have done an amazing job.
    We, my wife and 3 years child, are thinking/preparing to go around the world in a van. We want to build it our selves... I'm a little bit scare about the gas installation. So, my question is: Do you think it would be possible not to use gas at all to cook, instead we can use an electric cook? Do you think it is possible or it is to much energy that the solar panel can not provide?

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.